Thursday, October 18, 2007

Do We Need Road Signs for Bicycles?

I guess I don't spend enough time paying attention to bike routes, and I bicycle like a driver, watching for street signs and already having directions for my route to have thought about this before.

Just read this post by Alan over on Gristmill, "Give Me a Sign," about riding on bike paths in the Bellevue, WA area. I think that the idea of having bike routes labeled to indicate direction and distance to destinations where official bike routes exist is a useful idea, and I think part of the reason that it isn't done more is that generally this sort of signage doesn't exist for autos either. Some cities are putting up fancy signs to aid in navigation from neighborhood to neighborhood, or to popular destinations, which aid everyone, especially those visiting a section of town for the first time. I think that part of the problem here is that people putting put up the signs don't know where a cyclist is going, so don't have an idea of what would be useful.

b)

0 comments: